- Ambien® (zolpidem tartrate)
Forms in which available:
- It is available in different forms as per required mg in tablets.
For infants or neonates
- It is not available for infants or neonates.
- This drug is only available for 18 or above 18 age.
- The recommended dose for adults is one 10mg tablet (or two 5mg tablets) just before bedtime.
- A lower dose may be prescribed to some patients of special interests.
- The usual dose of above 65 or 65 is one 5mg tablet just before bedtime.
- Tablets 5mg
10mg (capsule shaped)
How to take Ambien in right way?
- Medicine should be taken by mouth.
- Don’t chew the tablet but swallow the whole tablet and then a drink of water.
- Zolpidem of 10mg is recommended once a day before bedtime.
- Take a single tablet of Zolpidem before bedtime.
- After taking the tablet, do not perform any task before 8 hours.
- The exceed limit is 10mg per 24 hours.
- The time span of treatment is 2 days to 4 weeks.
Zolpidem is sold under the brand-named Ambien, is only prescribed for the treatment of sleeping problems and chronic insomnia. This belongs to a group of medicines called hypnotics.
Zolpidem, an imidazopyridine, is a GABAA agonist, with selective binding affinity for the benzodiazepine ω1 receptor. In general, zolpidem does not alter sleep architecture. Zolpidem 10mg is absorbed rapidly; the mean time to maximum plasma concentration is 1.4 hours (with a single dose), and the absolute oral bioavailability of the drug is ≈70%. The drug is almost entirely protein bound in the plasma (92%). Although zolpidem is metabolized extensively, all three metabolites are inactive.
Dosage adjustment of zolpidem may also be required when co-administered with CNS depressant drugs as these agents may enhance the CNS effects of any hypno-sedative drug, including zolpidem.
The course of this medicine is of 7 -14 days, if the medicine can’t help, access the doctor for more treatment and for the seriousness of this disease.
The route of zolpidem is gastrointestinal tract and short time span of absorption in healthy patients. It can be in 5 mg or 10 mg tablets of pink color, capsule shaped, orally depending buy tramadol in the quality of sleep, the patients are receiving. After its Zolpidem is then converted to an inactive metabolite and excreted by the kidneys. These medications taken immediately after the food can slow the effect of drug.
Ambien is basically prescribed for the people with the sleep problems or insomnia.
Recommendation of this tablet includes sleep problems in adults such as:
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Waking up too early
- Walking in the middle of the night
Zolpidem improves the sleep quality in the patients dealing with chronic anemia. It also acts to as muscle relaxant. Recent studies also shows that it become effective with people having injury in their head who are vegetative state. This drug helps to reverse the process by abnormal metabolism of damaged brain cells completely or partially.
Ambien is contraindicated in cases with known acuteness to zolpidem. Observed reactions include:
The use of this tablet is also prohibited for the patients of severe liver disease, respiratory depression.
Ambien cause serious side effects which include:
- Getting up while not being completely conscious and do a movement that you don’t realize you are doing.
- Symptoms include
- Abnormal thoughts and behavior
- More outgoing
- Aggressive behavior than ordinary
- Worsening of depression/melancholy.
- Suicidal contemplations or activities.
- Ambien with the use of other narcotic drug is not suggested in the middle of the night or at bedtime.
- AMBIEN, like other narcotic-hypnotic drugs, can affect the central nervous system (CNS).
- The cases of angioedema (rapid edema, or swelling area beneath the skin) that involve the reaction with the tongue, glottis or larynx also reported by the patients taking zolpidem after the first dose and regular dose of zolpidem. Some patients also report the additional symptoms which include shortness of breath, nausea or throat closing and vomiting.
- Zolpidem can cause doziness and consciousness level of brain is also decreased, which may lead to falls and consequently to severe injuries. Hip fractures and other intracranial hemorrhage are being reported.
Overdose of zolpidem can cause serious problems. It can lead to coma or death. Overdose usually occurs when the person is taking another medicine with zolpidem. It is treated with the GABAA receptor antagonist flumazenil, which replaces zolpidem from binding site it on the GABAA receptor. Due to this, it reverses the effect of the zolpidem. Study on dialysis related to overdose of zolpidem is not examined yet.
Zolpidem with other medications is not recommended by the doctor, it can cause overdose. It can also react with other medicine. Zolpidem which interacts with other medications include:
Clarithromycin and erythromycin (Antibiotics) Drugs which are used to treat fungal infections which include ketoconazole, voriconazole and Iitraconazole.
- Atazanavir and ritonavir are also included.
Alcohol can cause serious effect reacting with this medicine. Use of this medicine is prohibited on the night of drinking alcohol. Consult with the doctor, if that happens. Doctor need to monitored your health closely related to alcohol and zolpidem.
For people with liver disease: Patients with the liver problem cannot process the drug well. Due to liver diseases, the side effects of zolpidem increases. People with the liver problem, if take zolpidem can cause a condition called hepatic encephalopathy. This condition can cause problem with the functioning of brain. This condition symptoms include confusion, things are forgotten and slurring of speech. People with severe disease of liver or with liver damage are not recommended to use zolpidem.
Patients who are currently dealing the anxiety issues should not take zolpidem as it worsens the situation along suicidal thoughts.
High risks groups:
- For pregnant women: Certain examinations related to this drug hasn’t been done on the embryo yet. The effect of zolpidem is different on the fetus. Recent studies have shown effect in the third trimester when this medicine is taken by the mothers, their babies can have eased back breathing and over the top drowsiness. Your PCP will screen your infant intently if openness to zolpidem happened during your pregnancy. This medication ought to possibly be utilized if the potential advantage legitimizes the expected danger.
- For mothers who are breastfeeding: Zolpidem is not recommended for the mothers who are breastfeeding. When zolpidem is taken by the mothers who are breastfeeding, it can pass through the breast milk to the child and can cause side effects both in mother and child.
- For children: As the effect of this drug is powerful. Person with the age below 18 should not use Ambien.
Dosage 5mg, 10mg
Form Immediate-release oral tablet
Frequency Once daily
- Ambien CR
Dosage 6.25mg, 12.5mg
Form: Extended-release oral tablet
Frequency Once daily
Dosage 5mg, 10mg
Form: sublingual tablet
Frequency Once daily
For children or neonatal
What type of Ambien is?
Zolpidem is used for temporary sleep problems in adults that are causing you extreme trouble and your everyday life is also disturbed by your sleep patterns. AMBIEN CR is another extended-release prescription for sleep medication to help people fall asleep as early as possible and is not harmful and maintain sleep without causing any damage in next-day performance.
How we can take Ambien?
- Take this medicine before bedtime as recommended by the doctor. Take this medication by mouth usually once a night. This medicine works quickly, do not take it during any task.
- The effect of this medicine is lowered when taken after or with the meal.
- This medicine can only be used if you have a time of 7 to 8 hours to sleep. Waking up before the required time can damage your memory/memory loss or any task performing during those hours can be risky include driving or operating machinery.
- Dosage is based on demographic measures include gender, age, other medications.
- The increased use of this medicine can be harmful, do not use it for longer other than a doctor’s prescription
- The actual limit for women is lower dose the drug is removed from the body more slowly than in men.
- Elderly adults have usually prescribed a lower dose due to the increased risk of side effects.
Drugs that cannot use with Ambien:
The total number of drugs that interact with Ambien is 409.
- 27 major drug interactions
- 379 moderate drug interactions
- 3 minor drug interactions
Most frequently checked interactions
Interaction reports for Ambien (zolpidem) and the medicines listed below.
- Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine)
- Ativan (lorazepam)Ativan (lorazepam)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine)
- Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)
- Klonopin (clonazepam)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- Norco (acetaminophen / Hydrocodone)
- Synthroid (levothyroxine)
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
Ambien (zolpidem) disease interactions.
There are 8 disease interactions with Ambien (zolpidem) which include:
- Alcohol intox
- Drug dependence
- liver disease
- Liver disease
- Resp depression