An analytical essay is not a simple essay that you often write. It goes beyond the simple summary and description of the essay. An analytical essay roots in the interpretation of the subject. It is a great way to get an in-depth analysis of a particular topic.
At any point in your academics, you might come across writing an analytical article. However, some people might find it difficult and wonder how to write an analytical essay especially if it’s their first time. But don’t worry! Here in this blog, we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to write an impressive analytical essay.
What is an analytical essay?
An analytical essay is a great way to have an in-depth analysis of a particular topic. As the name suggests, you have to analyze your subject. Unlike regular essays, rather than putting the facts, it demands you research and evaluates the information i.e. why and how. An analytical essay is a composition of writing that provides significant analysis of a subject.
An analytical essay is usually written about the work of literature, art, philosophy, scientific study, historical events, and many other topics.
Why do we write an analytical essay?
We write analytical essays with the purpose of benefiting the writers and the readers.
Often, academic teachers give their students to write analytical essays or essay for marketing, in order to help them become good writers. Writing analytical essays boosts students’ logical thinking. It also helps them in gaining confidence.
Analytical essays are often printed in newspapers and magazines. These types of articles help the reader in understanding scenarios and trends. It helps them in gaining a good amount of knowledge about a particular subject.
What is the structure of an analytical essay?
An analytical essay consists of three parts-
An analytical essay must be written in this format. Let us give you a detailed picture of the points that must be kept in mind while writing the essay.
- The introduction must give your audience an idea about what your essay is all about.
- It must start with a hook sentence. A good hook will engage more audiences.
- Followed by a thesis statement i.e. defining the objective of your article.
- Lastly, add some information to your thesis statement.
Depending upon the length of your essay and research, a body part can be subdivided accordingly. On a general basis, your body part can be written in this manner-
- Introductory statement
- Analysis statement, followed by
- The evidence
A conclusion includes the following-
- Summary of your article
- Reword your thesis statement
- A final hook statement to help your audience to understand your point
A detailed guide on how to write an analytical essay!
A good analytical essay easily explains itself to its readers. It provides you a good knowledge of the main idea, its arguments, and evidence.
Here is the complete guide on how to write an analytical essay.
- Choose your topic- one must first select the topic for writing appropriately or in some cases your guide can also give you the topic.
- Research and evaluate- research extensively about your article. Brainstorm all the points that come to your mind. Figure out the points that are relevant to your topic.
- Providing the facts– do provide the proper facts and observations for your argument.
- Design the structure of your analytical essay- carefully design the outline of your essay. Write down the facts and all the evidence that you have collected from your research. This will help you in the in-depth analysis of your topic.
- Crafting your essay- once you are done with the prep-up, write down your essay with proper organization. Include a catching introduction, followed by the researched body paragraphs, and in the last an insightful conclusion that your audience understands easily.
- Proofreading- evaluate your article before submitting it. Proofreading is the best way to find out any errors in your article. Check out any grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes and correct them accordingly. Make sure your article is in a flow. Lastly, read your article from your audience’s perspective, which will enhance its readability. Proofreading will help you in rectifying all the mistakes.
- Plagiarism- no institution allows plagiarism. Moreover, it does not create a good impression on your audience. So make sure your article is free from plagiarism.
- Submit- after all these steps your article is now ready to submit.
Follow the above guidelines to write your analytical essay like a pro.
Do’s and don’ts-
- Your introduction must be short and clear.
- Write your argument thesis in the introduction.
- Your body must revolve around the argument that you have made in the introduction.
- Provide enough resources and evidence for supporting your argument
- If you are opposing any argument then make sure you provide the facts in support of your point.
- Include relevant quotes, observations, and references for your argument.
- Reiterate your conclusion. Do not add any new points in your conclusion.
- Cite all the details in a relevant format like APA, MLA, or Chicago.
- Use simple language and don’t write lengthy paragraphs.
Frequently asked questions-
- What are the good topics for writing analytical essays?
- Why do people yawn and sneeze?
- Why do people lie?
- Why do we feel angry?
- Why do people like more sugar?
- Why are celebrities paid too high?
- Why is the younger generation addicted to technology?
- Why are Indians crazy for cricket?
- What is modern art?
These are the few topics that you can consider for analytical essay writing.
2) How to choose an analytical essay topic?
In some cases, your guide or teacher might give you the topic but if you have to decide yourself then keep the following points in your mind
- Choose a topic from your pool of study.
- Make sure you get enough data about it for research
- Analyze your topic before finalizing it
- Choose a topic about which you are confident
- Make sure your topic is engaging and captivating
3) Can you include contrasting points in your article?
Yes, you can include contrasting points in your article. If you don’t agree with a perspective, you can use a paragraph to write that point of view. After that, you can provide stronger evidence and proof to prove your point. It will strengthen your argument.